Lately, I’ve found myself looking in the mirror and not liking what I see. See last year I started on this skin care journey and my skin was getting better but within the last couples of months I see my results fading.
So now what God? Why didn’t you make me with perfect skin? Why do I have to deal with all these blemishes? Why would you call me to speak in front of audiences and my skin looks this way?
Just skip over me God. Give me something else to do. Something in the background. Hiding away from people. Yeah that’s it.
And just like that, you’re doubting who God created?
Insecurities are the devil.
One thought can turn can into 50 and next thing you know you hate everything about yourself. You just end up picking yourself a part.
I could feel myself getting to a place, I had long journeyed from. See in the past I didn’t know how to handle my insecurities and so I use to let them rule me.
How do you know when your insecurities are ruling you?
1. You make poor choices
2. You begin to compare yourself to others
3. You become jealous of friends
4. You question God
5. You stay stuck in the moment of your insecurity
When your insecurities rule you, it’s a sucky place to be. You can’t have good relationships when you’re an insecure person.
Insecure people sabotage relationships.
Usually when I’m having a moment, and we’re all entitled to have one or two, or a few, I do this ONE THING:
I refuse to believe my thoughts.
The bible tells us to be transformed by the renewing of our minds. So how do we renew our minds when we’re feeling insecure?
Know that you are a child of God:
- God makes no mistakes, nothing He has ever made in this entire world has ever been wrong or ugly. In fact God says, you were born for such a time as this. He even calls you His beautiful one. He says we were made in His image. There’s no way you could be made from such awesomeness and not be awesome yourself.
- When you start thinking those thoughts and they won’t go away. Fight back. Don’t just accept it. My strongest weapon when I’m in a fight with my insecurities is my use of Affirmations. When I look in that mirror and I don’t like what I see, I say out loud ” I am beautiful” I am loved just the way I am” “I am worthy”… Repeat the affirmations until the feeling passes. It’s hard for those negative thoughts and feelings to stay when you’re building yourself up. Do this daily for greater results.
Write yourself love notes:
- Get yourself some post it notes, notecards or a good erasable marker. I leave notes on my dashboard in my vehicle. I have notes on lamp on my night stand. I have notes on my desk at home, on the mirror.. anywhere my eyes look, there’s a note. I love myself some post it notes. I leave the notes all over. I even set up notes on my phone’s calendar that pop up. It’s a way that I can constantly remind myself that I am valued.
These are a few things I do but there are tons of things you can do when you’re feeling insecure. Grab a journal write down your feelings and then pray over what you wrote. I always take it back to God.
If you don’t remember anything I’ve said thus far, remember this: don’t just sit there and believe these insecure thoughts and don’t think you’re the only one dealing with them. I like what Kanye West said “We’re all self-conscious, I’m just the first to admit it” and that’s the truth, most people probably won’t admit it, but it doesn’t mean that they don’t deal with it.
Love yourself enough to address those issues. Insecurity will mentally destroy you and you’re so much stronger than that.
Mini Prayer: Lord, when feelings of insecurity and self-doubt creep into my heart, help me to see myself the way you see me.
You are strong. You are beautiful. You are smart. You are loved. You are worth it. You are enough. You are fearfully and wonderfully made.